New SAP for 15-year SAP user Marsa
Marsa Informatics Technologies and System Development Manager Selim Pense’s views took their place in the SAP Forum October 2014 "Success Stories" booklet…
Can you give us information about your company and its business? How many personnel do you have?
Taking over Gıdasa Sabancı Food Ind. and Tr. Inc.’s shares on 16.06.2008, Marsan Food Ind. and Tr. Inc. has been continuing operations under the name Marsa Oil Ind. and Tr. Inc. since the beginning of 2011. Marsa produces oils for foodstuff industries, catering and bakery sectors using the highest technology and under hygienic conditions. With the Ustam group products it produces for use in hotel, motel, holiday resort, restaurant kitchens and patisseries, Marsa is in the service of bakery and kitchen chefs with its over 500 personnel.
Marsa is a company that produces under 100% hygienic and natural conditions and differs from its competition in the sector with the vision of becoming the regional leader in foodstuff. Using the latest technology and conforming to EU standards, Marsa markets its products mainly in Turkey and also to the USA and EU countries.
Setting off from customer expectations and merging them with market conditions and changing trends and expectations in the world, Marsa has internalized the discipline of presenting new products and pioneering their realization in Turkey.
The changing structure and processes of our company and the wish to comply with new technologies as a result of the requirements of the age are the biggest factors in our transfer to SAP ECC 6.0.
We see it as the structure to develop our company for the better and carry us to a higher position than our current one via more effective enterprise resource planning.
Complications can come up in the software we have come to use over the past years. We have started this renewal in order to simplify user work and processes.
Could you please tell us why you chose the SAP business partner that you worked with for the project?
- Medyasoft was one of the leading and most well known companies in its sector for us.
- One of the defining criteria for us was Medyasoft’s respectability in the sector and its human centered approach.
- Medyasoft was a company that was known for its quality of service via the work it had done for Turkish and World standard companies.
- Appropriate consultant staff, cost advantage, client oriented work and references were also affective in the choice we made.
Taking these into consideration and complying to Marsa’s diligence for quality, we decided that we would work with Medyasoft on our SAP project.
What are the benefits of the project to your establishment?
- With capacity planning screens, where the calculation of which product is to be produced on which line based on factory, line and product is realized, optimization in weekly production planning was achieved.
- Comparison reports showing planned/actual expenditures, viewing screen for faulty product movements, easy-to-understand production reports, fast main data maintenance program were written according to the client's needs. Thanks to the sector exclusive screens for tanker production planning, the file transfer and telephone traffic between departments came to an end.
- In the material supply planning process, based on the optimum stock keeping goals, the planning of weekly and daily purchasing needs was made possible.
- All purchasing and approval processes were moved onto the system. The supplier price lists can now be approved over the system. Applications were developed for the approval and printing of offer requests after price check comparisons. The import purchasing process was developed according to needs. Reports providing traceability of the purchasing process from the material request to its entrance were produced.
- In conditional acceptance; the execution and tracking of all the processes from acceptance of goods to the approval of the invoice figure to be sent to the supplier can be made over the system.
- By determining the minimum stock levels of materials, the supply period, the stock time of the materials were decreased to a minimum. Material requirement planning was used.
- A party application was made for the tracking of the materials expiry dates and similar features. Barcode tags and handheld terminal applications were developed in material warehouse processes.
- Integration between systems was achieved by forming central main data structure for the material.
- Substantial improvements were made on the Sales Distribution side on the topics of Domestic Sales, Export, Shipping, Delivery Planning and Delivery Cost Tracking.
- Price management in domestic sales was redesigned according to contemporary SAP infrastructure and needs, and thus with less main data and work, a more effective price management system was formed.
- In exporting, the pro forma invoicing process, which allows for declarations to be made out before loading, was set up with standard functions minimizing the workload and incorrect data input.
- In domestic and export shipping, the integration of delivery costs with service purchasing was achieved; thanks to shipper and period based automatically formed purchasing papers, the intake of shipper invoices are more controlled and extra/wrong invoice intake is stopped.
- The costs for domestic and overseas shipping were distributed to the shipped goods based on kilograms and shipping costs took their place in customer/product profitability with real numbers. This way, a fair premium payment system was put in place with the correct calculation of customer profitability, which is the basis for salesperson premiums.
- On the Financial Accounting (FI) side, the tracking and reporting of assurances was made possible with the Client Accounting Assurance Package. The necessary arrangements were made for the execution of central financial operations within the group and all the relevant actions were brought into use.
- By Addressee Company Adaptation the reporting of activities with group companies was realized. With the implementation of the IFRS Package, the sound recording and reporting of IFRS activities was realized.
- The Hyperion integration infrastructure required for group consolidation reports was prepared and an adjustment was made for the use of MIS codes.
- A structure was formed in which the invoices made out from accounting can be used as both e-invoices and printed on paper. With the fields added to the standard check reports, the current state of the relevant check was added to the screen. BA-BS reports were organized as to come to consensus with clients and e-mail, fax or prints can be formed over the system.
- On the Controlling (CO) side, which plays an active part in higher managerial decisions of companies, planned-actual comparisons and analysis reports are prepared to aid managers in taking the right strategic decisions. Cost based controls were added to prevent budget exceeding.
- Access to detailed cost information was reached by calculation of the costs at the generation point of the product produced and services given.
- Within the Profitability Analysis (PA) structure, the Periodic Net Profit/Loss table of the income statement is taken abiding by TPL and IFRS.
Could you state your views on the project, its results and SAP in a few sentences?
The project went live successfully after 5 months of hard work. Working intensively with Marsa's teams in the Istanbul and Adana offices, Medyasoft consultants successfully implemented the SAP project. Speaking at the closing dinner of the project, Marsa Financial and Administrative Affairs Director Adnan Kaplan said, "I thank all the project team for activating the project on time despite the time constraint.”
Which products and solutions were used in the project?
While Medyasoft was transferring Marsa Yağ’s 15 years of SAP experience into SAP ECC 6.0, all the modules within the scope of the project were taken on from scratch and reconstructed according to current needs. While the Quality Management (QM), Plant Maintenance (PM), Warehouse Management (WM) modules were included into the system for the first time, the Material Management (MM) and Production Planning (PP) modules were nearly designed from scratch. The processes and reports in the Financial Accounting (FI), Controlling (CO) and Sales and Distribution (SD) modules were restructured according to user demands. Barcode integration: A design in which the PP-QM-MM-WM modules work integrated was realized. A structure in which the produced products are directly added to the quality stock within Warehouse Management (WM) and after waiting for some time for quality control are sent to addresses was formed. Practical reports were prepared for the detailed tracking of bar-coded products.
Can you tell us the reason why you preferred SAP?
Among the main reasons we chose SAP is that it greatly covers the company’s ERP requirements. Its applications suitable to our sector and the fact that its modules like Financial Accounting, Management Accounting, Sales and Distribution and Production run integrated with each other is the reason we chose SAP.
SAP presents us a wide range of business software and corporate applications that help us strengthen our business. With SAP, corporations acquire a different point of view that they can use to turn their inefficient and insufficient sides into a competitive advantage. As an establishment we aim to use the knowledge we attain from SAP to get one step ahead in our sector.